Information and Communication TechnologyInformation and Communication Technology (ICT) provides pupils with the knowledge and understanding to enable them to use a wide range of software and hardware with confidence. We encourage pupils to be imaginative and creative, and provide them with a safe environment in which to learn, so they feel able to make their own choices. Pupils regularly share their work with others and actively discuss their achievements.
All pupils have their own user names and passwords to enable them to access work, save work and manage their own area. This also helps them to understand the necessity for password protection and security at home.
We believe that ICT is a creative subject that should be enjoyable to all pupils. We provide all pupils with the tools to design, explore and evaluate models of real or imaginary situations through a variety of innovative software and hardware. We can provide pupils with basic and more advanced skills which may enable them to have access to a contemporary working environment and help to educate pupils about the dangers of using the internet to help them to understand how to be safe when online.
Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4We use a wide range of resources to enhance the teaching and learning in ICT. They include:
Two dedicated ICT classrooms equipped with the most up-to-date software e.g. Microsoft Office 2010, Adobe Photoshop and Premier Elements 10, specialist animation and video creation software and much more!
• Interactive whiteboards with a wand to enable shorter pupils to approach and use the board
• Robots to enable pupils to plan and programme objects, not just on screen and see the results
• Specific software to teach, guide and support pupils to learn to touch type and become increasingly confident with the keyboard and its many functions
• A Nintendo Wii which is used effectively in some lessons to bring the curriculum to life, for example to collect data for spreadsheets
• Flight, train and other simulators including joysticks
Key Stage 4
Pupils in ICT complete the (OCR) Entry Level ICT course and the (OCR) ITQ vocational course at level 1.