Every day when I leave school I ask myself this same question: ‘Have I made a difference today?’
It’s a very simple question, but one which often generates some thoughtful and revealing answers.
At Dove House we’re guided by this simple question. In fact, everything the school does is designed to make a difference to our children and their families.
This website has been created to help answer the questions many parents ask when they first visit our school, and so I hope that it will answer some of yours.
More importantly, I hope it will inspire you to ask many more. If it does, do please contact the school office, and continue your own discovery of what the Dove House experience is all about.
Aims & Outcomes
The aim for our learners is to provide personalised study programmes which progress and prepare learners with Education, Health and Care Plans for and into employment. We intend to do this by:
- designing carefully tailored packages to meet the needs of each individual learner
- developing employability skills by working closely with both learners and employers
- building confidence and resilience in our learners to enable them to interact professionally
- underpinning skills for independent living
- preparing learners for the responsibilities of employment through work placements
- building functional literacy and numeracy skills using specialist staff
- developing practical ‘sector’ skills
- supporting learners in finding and sustaining employment.
With the intended outcomes of:
- leaving the centre with a body of employability skills and offer of appropriate employment.
- leaving the centre ready to progress onto further specialised vocational courses in an area which they aspire to work.
- successfully completing courses or qualifications linked with employment ie; First Aid, Food Hygiene, Manual handling etc.
- successfully completing the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
- completing their ‘employability checklist’ and receiving positive references from work placement employers and mentors.
- achieving and demonstrating personal independence and self confidence.
- gaining a level of literacy and numeracy that supports them in their work.
What we offer our learners
A safe and relaxed environment with small group sizes, where each learner is treated with respect and valued by staff.
- Accreditation that is appropriate to each learners own personal journey.
- Carefully tailored packages to meet the needs of each individual.
- Employability enterprise skills and work placements to prepare learners for work and the responsibilities involved.
- The development of confidence and resilience so our learners are able to interact professionally.
- Skills for independent living, travel training and adulthood.
- A business mentor from the community for each learner.
- Support in developing practical ‘sector’ skills.
- Independent and impartial careers advice and guidance.
- Support in finding and sustaining employment
Entry Level /Level 1 learners (Level 2 requiring specialist support)
- Learners likely to progress into employment within the next 2 years.
- Existing EHCP which highlights the need for Post 16 provision which prepares them for employment.
- Learners who would benefit from accessing a specialist SEN provision and support, with high expectations and aspirations.
- Learners willing to participate in work placements with a positive attitude towards learning.
- Learners requiring further support from specialist therapies, additional life skills or travel training.
If you are interested in our Post 16 provision:
- Name Dove House Post 16 as your preferred option on your EHCP.
- If you are offered a place, you will be invited to a meeting to discuss your learning package